How To Get Your Mexican Driver’s License

By Yucatan Expatriate Services on October 3, 2011

Print this Page Email & Share

Sooner or later, you may want to bite the bullet and get your Mexican driver’s license. While you are perfectly legal driving in Mexico with your driver’s license from your country of origin, why not have two licenses, just in case? If you get stopped in Mexico and have to surrender your driver’s license to a policeman, it is good to have a Mexican license to give him, while keeping your country-of-origin license for when you are returning home. In addition, learning the driving laws of Mexico and proving that you have passed the test is a good thing to do in your new home country.

Where To Go

You can get your driver’s license in two places in Merida. One location is in the Centro, across from the Zoo in the old Penitentiary. The other location is in the north of Merida, just south of Liverpool on the same side of Prolongación Montejo. The two locations are:

Departamento de Registro y Control Vehicular

      Calle 61-A # 494 x 88-A and 90,

Colonia Centro

      (The big building across from the

Parque Centenario

      Zoo on the

Parque de La Paz



      Monday through Friday, 8:00 AM to 2:00 PM, Saturday 8:0 AM to 1:00 PM


    (999) 923-6540 or (999) 928-5028

Convention Center Siglo XXI, Kabah Salon

      Calle 60 North,

Colonia Revolución Ex-Cordemex

      Monday through Friday, 8:00 to 19:30, Saturday 8:00 to 17:30


    (999) 981-6420

Driver’s License Documentation

When you go to apply for your driver’s license, you need to pick up the application form at the desk, and fill it out. In addition, you must bring the following documents with you (both the original and a copy to leave with the authorities):

  • Valid Passport
  • Visa proving your legal status in Mexico
  • Birth certificate
  • Proof of address: A recent bill for your water (JAPAY), electricity (CFE), phone (Telmex or Telcel or your phone company), property tax (known as a predial) or a bank statement in your name and not older than 90 days.

Costs to obtain a driver’s license are:

  • Car license: $337.00 MXN
  • Motorcycle license: $196.00 MXN

You will be asked to fill out the forms completely. You will then be given instructions to pay the appropriate fees at a local bank, and what documentation to bring back after you have paid.

Procedure To Obtain Your Driver’s License

First, you will submit your documentation in the reception area, including the application. You will be asked to take an eye exam, to ensure that your eyesight is in good condition to drive. You will be asked to do a blood test if you don´t already know your blood type. If you do know it, it is not necessary to take this step. Just tell them your blood type.

You will be given a written test based on the Regulation of Transportation of the Government of the State. This tests you on the current driving laws of the State. The booklet outlining the current laws is not available in English, but the test can be taken in English. You will also be required to take a driving test with your vehicle.

Once you pass the two tests, there is no additional fee to get your license. At the offices listed above, where you take your test, they will take your picture, obtain your fingerprints and your signature. At that time, you must present the receipt of your payment in the license delivery area. After that, your license will be issued and provided to you. A Mexican driver´s license is good for two years.

Renewing Your Driver’s License in Mexico

As we mentioned, your initial license is valid for a two year period. Renewing your license is much more convenient, as long as you do it before it becomes invalid.

You have three options when renewing your Mexican driver’s license:

  • Go to either of the two locations mentioned above.
  • Go to any USE (Unidad de Servicios Electrónicos) locations 60 days prior to your license expiration or 30 days after expiration.
  • Renew online, within 12 months before expiration or 30 days after. To renew online, you need a credit or debit card for payment. The license will be delivered to your home within 10 working days by DHL, or you can pick it up at the Departamento de Registro y Control Vehicular near Parque de la Paz (address above).

The USE locations are as follows:


Gran Plaza, Mérida, Yuc.
First floor, in front of the CFE office.
Monday to Sunday from 10:00 to 22:00 hrs.

Plaza Fiesta, Mérida, Yuc.
Monday to Sunday from 09:00 to 21:00 hrs.

Plaza Las Américas, Mérida, Yuc.
Local 25, between Librería Dante and VIPS restaurant
Monday to Sunday from 08:00 to 22:00 hrs.

Plaza Oriente, Mérida, Yuc.
Monday to Sunday from 09:00 to 22:00 hrs.

México Norte
Calle 20 #104 x 23 and 25, Offices 1 and 2 Plaza México, Colonia México, Mérida, Yuc.
Monday to Friday from 9:00 to 16:00 hrs., Saturday from 9:30 to 13:00 hrs.

Villa Palmira. Calle 95 No. 504 x 62 Col. Delio Moreno, Mérida, Yuc.
Monday to Friday from 8:00 to 20:00 hrs., Saturday from 8:00 to 13:00 hrs.


Calle 31 # 374 x 44 y 46 Centro, Izamal, Yuc.
Next to the Civil Registry
Monday to Friday from 8:00 to 20:00 hrs., Saturday from 8:00 to 13:00 hrs.


La Casona, Calle 50 between 53 and 55, Tekax, Yuc.
In front of the city’s market
Monday to Friday from 08:00 to 20:00 hrs., Saturday from 08:00 to 13:00 hrs.


Calle 21 no number X 24-A Col. Centro, Ticul, Yuc.
Casa de la Cultura.
Monday to Friday from 8:00 to 20:00 hrs., Saturday from 8:00 to 13:00 hrs.


Calle 45 between 62 and 64, Tizimín, Yuc.
In front of the “Zoológico de la Reina”
Monday to Friday from 08:00 to 20:00 hrs., Saturday from 08:00 to 13:00 hrs.


Calle 42 No. 203 x 43 Col. Centro, Valladolid, Yuc.
Former local of the Elementary School José María Iturralde
Monday to Friday from 8:00 to 20:00 hrs., Saturday from 8:00 to 13:00 hrs.

You cannot renew online or at a USE location two years in a row. If you use one of those methods one year, the next year you must go to one of the two locations at the beginning of this article.

You need to take the following documents with you to renew (the original and a copy):

  • Original driver´s license.
  • ID (passport).
  • Proof of address (electricity, water or phone bill, not older than 2 months).

The fee to renew is the same as for obtaining the initial license and you must pay at the office where you are doing the procedure in cash only. As long as your data and information is in the system, you will not be required to take either driving test again. If you do not renew your driver´s license after the initial two years, and do it on time, there are penalties. If you are stopped by the police and you do not have a valid driver’s license when he requests it, there will be penalties of 13 to 15 times the local minimum wage, which comes to about $730 MXN to $850 MXN.

If you want help getting your Mexican Driver’s License, the bilingual project managers at Yucatan Expatriate Services can assist you.

Like this article? To be notified every time Yucatan Expatriate Services
publishes another article, just subscribe by clicking here.

This article represents the opinions of the writers and does not constitute legal or accounting advice. It is recommended that before taking any action, you should consult with your own accountant or lawyer who is familiar with the laws and customs in Yucatan and in Mexico, and the circumstances surrounding your situation.

20 Responses to “ How To Get Your Mexican Driver’s License ”

  • Barry said on October 4th, 2011 8:18 am

    I got my driver’s license at Siglo 21. They did not give me a form to fill out, they simply asked a few questions. Also, I paid cash at the caja – no trips to the bank. The driving test consisted of parellel parking from the left side, nothing else. The process was quick and easy. Make sure you know your traffic signs – 3 of the 10 questions on the test are about traffic signs.

  • Yucatan Expatriate Services said on October 4th, 2011 9:58 am

    Ahhh, don’t you just love Mexico? This is good to know… so now we know the range of possible activity and requirements :-)

  • Hushlizard Steve said on October 5th, 2011 8:28 am

    I’m in the midst of getting a permit for my truck and long time visa. Amazing the hoops you have to go through! Is it best to get my license from the States redone before I move down? Hope everything will be ready end of May! Does anyone know of anyone in the NW that needs a ride down to the Yucatan? Me and Jango are driving down in our old Dodge Dakota 4×4! Room for one more! Suggestions?

  • Yucatan Expatriate Services said on October 12th, 2011 2:01 pm

    Steve, we suggest you go to the forums at and put your request for a rider there… you will have more luck with that request on the YoListo website. As for your license, you should definitely get it renewed before you come down to Mexico.

  • jhom said on October 18th, 2011 12:06 pm

    I would like to post a warning. Last year when I returned to Massachusetts, I tried to renew my Massachusetts license as usual. In the process, I honestly noted that I had a Yucatan drivers license. I was at the point of being handed my routine renewal (I have held my license in Massachusetts for over 55 years) when a bureaucratic battle axe stormed out and ordered the clerk to hold the license. Apparently, the Massachusetts registry is spearheading the war on terror and there is a federal law against holding multiple licenses. I need to return again to fight this. The US Consulate had never heard of the directive.

  • Yucatan Expatriate Services said on October 18th, 2011 2:23 pm

    Thank you, Jhom, for informing us about this. We will investigate the issue.

  • Sallie said on July 25th, 2012 2:26 pm

    Thanks for the info on getting our driver’s license! I am curious and interested in the process and cost of getting our vehicle licensed in the Yucatan? Thanks in advance for any help!

  • Adriana said on July 25th, 2012 5:23 pm

    Thank you Sallie! In order to get Yucatan´s license plates your vehicle should be 9 or 8 years old (not older, not newer) and it should be NAFTA manufactured (which means it must have been manufactured in the US, Canada or Mexico). If your vehicle complies with these 2 requirements, then you will need to hire the services of a custom broker for the procedure. If you need referrals for this, please contact me to

  • James McClure said on August 24th, 2012 1:58 pm

    I have been having a problem getting my Mexican drivers license. They have refused to accept all my paper work. Bank statement, home purchase documents, etc. Can any one offer suggestions?

  • Adriana said on August 24th, 2012 2:45 pm

    James, here at YES we could help you obtain it, but first we´d need to review the documents you have. I´ll send you an e-mail to set up an appointment.

  • San said on February 9th, 2014 2:38 pm

    I really like your website. Very informative. I need help finding a company that transports vehicle, I would like to drive to San Antonio, Tx. and have my van transported to Mexico City. I would really like to drive all the way to Mexico, but people tell me is too dangerous now day, 2014.Need you help. Thank you

  • Yucatan Expatriate Services said on February 15th, 2014 6:16 pm

    San, we don´t know of a transporting vehicles company per se, but you may want to contact MexPack, they help with relocations in general, so we assume they also transport vehicles:

  • Erik said on July 5th, 2015 7:39 pm

    What is the procedure in Yucatan if you have a Mexican driver’s license from another state?

  • Yucatan Expatriate Services said on July 9th, 2015 12:20 am

    Erik, it is the regular procedure as if you had no license at all (please read the article). For your information, if you have a license from another state is legal to drive with it in Yucatan as long as it is not expired.

  • Erik said on July 9th, 2015 6:22 am

    I just have to register it, right?

  • Yucatan Expatriate Services said on July 10th, 2015 3:11 pm

    Erik, you mean register the car before the Yucatan police? If yes, then you can choose whether to register it or not. There are plenty of vehicles from other states driving around the streets in Yucatan, you just need to have your documents in place in case the police stops you (tarjeta de circulación valid in your name, copy of the sales invoice endorsed to you, last payment of tenencia “car tax” and your ID).

  • Aiden said on April 18th, 2016 2:52 pm

    Can I get a Mexican license on a visitor visa?

  • Yucatan Expatriate Services said on April 18th, 2016 8:48 pm

    Aiden, no you can´t. You must be a temporary or a permanent resident of Mexico.

  • Aiden said on April 18th, 2016 9:35 pm

    Thank you! And to get that you need funds in the bank and or job right

  • Yucatan Expatriate Services said on April 18th, 2016 11:00 pm

    Aiden, that is correct: savings or income from employment or pension.

Post a Comment

Enter your Email to be notified
of new articles & guides