Featured Posts

  • Mexican Financial Stereotypes

    The world over has stereotypical ideas about Mexico and particularly about Mexico's financial situation. Richard Fisher, President and CEO of the Federal Reserve in Dallas, thinks it ...

    Read More
  • Employment in Mexico

    Employment law in Mexico has its own set of rules and regulations that must be followed, whether you are a corporation, a small business or running a ...

    Read More
  • IVA Increase and Facturas

    On January 1, 2010, the amount of Mexico's Value Added Tax, called IVA, increased by one percent. Here's a quick take on how corporations should deal with ...

    Read More
  • Taxation in Mexico

    Taxes are confusing enough in your own country, let alone in a foreign country. Add to that the language difference, and you've got a recipe for confusion. ...

    Read More
  • Hiring and Firing Employees

    Employment law in Mexico has a set of rules you may not be familiar with if you previously ran a business in the USA or Canada. This ...

    Read More
  • Read More


    New Immigration Fees for 2015

    The Mexican Immigration Institute presented their new fees for 2015; these are valid starting January 1st 2015:

    • Temporary Resident Card
    • One year $3,519 pesos
    • Two years $5,272 pesos
    • Three years $6,678 pesos
    • Four years $7,914 pesos
    • Permanent Resident Card
    • $4,289 pesos

    In case the card is stolen or gets lost the cost to get a new one is $1,083 pesos, for any type of card, it does not vary if it is temporary or permanent.

    • Paperwork review: $1,124 pesos – This amount is paid when the applicant is requesting a change of resident status or if the card is expired when the renewal process begins.
    • Exit permit: $360 pesos – This amount is paid when the applicant is requesting a permit to leave the country while his application is still in process.
    • Work permit: $2,642 pesos – This amount is paid when a tourist or a temporary resident wants to engage in lucrative activities.

    Share This Article

    Divorce Process in Mexico

    Next Story »

    New Immigration Fees for 2016


    1. Bill Howes
      January 13, 2015

      We arrived in Merida last November. I applied for temporary residency visa this month. I found some pottery I`d like to export to Canada in March. I have an incorporated company set up and registered in Canada. Can I legally do this on a temporary residency visa? Thanks for any advice.

    2. Yucatan Expatriate Services
      January 20, 2015

      Bill, you are going to need to have a tax ID in Mexico in order to do the export and to get the tax ID you will need a work permit in your temporary resident card.

    3. January 26, 2015

      Thank you YES ! Now can you assist me in doing this in the time allowed and about how much should it cost ??

    4. Yucatan Expatriate Services
      January 28, 2015

      Bill, we´ll send you an e-mail with the information!

    5. Henry
      January 31, 2015

      Good afternoon, YES employees!
      I was considering a permanent visa application and wanted to know if, once this is completed and issued, if this allows me to engage in lucrative activities or if I need to also apply for a lucrative addition?
      Thank you so much for your advice.

    6. Yucatan Expatriate Services
      February 3, 2015

      Henry, the permanent resident status allows you to work, once you get it, you don´t need to do other application.

    7. Michael Vogt
      February 4, 2015

      Hello, I have been married to a Mexican citizen for 2 years. She is now teaching in her home town of Aguascalientes, Mex currently. I am still in usa but plan to retire there in june of this year. my question is since I am part of the family unit by way of marriage can I get my temporary resident card at a INM office in Aguascalientes or do I need to do it at a Mexican consulate in USA. thanks

    8. Yucatan Expatriate Services
      February 4, 2015

      Michael, you can apply for your temporary resident card at the INM office in Aguascalientes by family unit, since you are married to a Mexican citizen. You don´t have to start at a Mexican Consulate. You will need to provide your marriage certificate with an apostille and translation to Spanish if you married abroad.

    9. Michael Culberson
      February 10, 2015

      I am married to a Mexican and now need to apply for my permanent resident card in march. I have read a lot of different info about working in mexico. Once I am a permanent resident am I allowed to work in mexico without applying for a work permit? I have read some say yes and some say no. I asked in Aguascalientes and was told I still need a work permit…. I don’t want to have any issues here.

    10. Yucatan Expatriate Services
      February 16, 2015

      Michael, permanent residents don´t need a work permit, they are allowed to work in Mexico. Your only obligation is to notify Immigration authorites of the activities you are doing within the next 90 days you start doing them.

    11. Bill Howes
      February 16, 2015

      As a follow up to my question about buying pottery in Mexico to sell in Canada, we were told by a nice young lady at SAT that we would pay our usual 16% tax when we purchase here in Mexico and no further taxes are required if we`re not selling here in Mexico.

    12. Yucatan Expatriate Services
      February 16, 2015

      Bill, thank you for sharing. Just keep in mind that if you buy large quantities for export you´re going to need to file before SAT and get a tax ID so that you can export; in order to get a Tax ID for business purposes you will need to get a work permit from Immigration first.

    13. March 11, 2015

      I just wanted to let you know that your email subscription box isn’t working. 🙁

      On a visa related note, do you know the current income requirements for a temporary resident visa?


    14. Yucatan Expatriate Services
      March 12, 2015

      Devlin, thank you for letting us know; we consulted with out IT department and they tols us is working, so if you could try again we´d appreciate it. Regarding your question, the current income requirement for a temporary resident visa is approximately 1,500 USD monthly for the last 6 months.

    15. Matt
      May 30, 2015

      My grandma was born in northern Mexico. Could I qualify for residency or naturalization based on that?

    16. Melinda Woods
      June 23, 2015

      I would like to know the income requirement for a married couple wanting permanent residency. I also would like to know if we need to have all of our information translated to Spanish for our visa applications. I was told we would not need to have our marriage or birth certificates apostilled if we went to our Mexican consulate in the states. Is that true?

    17. Yucatan Expatriate Services
      June 23, 2015

      Melinda, the income requirement is 2,500 USD from a monthly pension per person. If one of the 2 does not have this minimum income requirement, this one can apply for temporary residency only, providing the other person can prove additional 500 USD monthly income (from pension or other source). The Immigration Law does not state that the birth or marriage certificates need to have an apostille and translation to Spanish when the procedure is done at the Mexican Consulate; however, this may vary depending on the criteria of each Consulate.

    18. Yucatan Expatriate Services
      June 23, 2015

      Matt, yes you can qualify for naturalization, but you need to be a resident of Mexico for 2 years at least. You can be either be a temporary or a permanent resident, but at least 2 years, and during those years the maximum amount of days you could be out of Mexico is 90 days per year.

    19. Mark Palmer
      September 11, 2015

      My wife are closing on a home in CHELEM in October…can we apply directly for permanent residency visa…what are the requirements..it seems to be different on every site ..can I get your facts ..you seem to know what’s going on …thank you THE PALMERS

    20. Yucatan Expatriate Services
      September 11, 2015

      Mark, if you are both retired and can show a minimum income from your pension of approximately 2,200 USD each, for the last 6 months, OR minimum monthly savings of 100,000 USD for the last year each, you can apply for the permanent residency.

    21. Nancy
      May 31, 2016

      I currently have a Temporal Resident card which expires on Aug 5, I need to return to Canada on Aug 10th. Can i start the process early? Also is there a web site that tells me what documents i need to bring? Lastly is is possible to get a 3 year card?

    22. Yucatan Expatriate Services
      June 2, 2016

      Nancy, the earliest you can start the process is 30 days before the expiration date of your document, in your case, July 6th. Let me know if you are in Yucatán, we’d be happy to help you with your other questions! You can write us at info@yucatanyes.com

    Leave a comment

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *