Featured Posts

  • Mexican Financial Stereotypes

    The world over has stereotypical ideas about Mexico and particularly about Mexico's financial situation. Richard Fisher, President and CEO of the Federal Reserve in Dallas, thinks it ...

    Read More
  • Employment in Mexico

    Employment law in Mexico has its own set of rules and regulations that must be followed, whether you are a corporation, a small business or running a ...

    Read More
  • IVA Increase and Facturas

    On January 1, 2010, the amount of Mexico's Value Added Tax, called IVA, increased by one percent. Here's a quick take on how corporations should deal with ...

    Read More
  • Taxation in Mexico

    Taxes are confusing enough in your own country, let alone in a foreign country. Add to that the language difference, and you've got a recipe for confusion. ...

    Read More
  • Hiring and Firing Employees

    Employment law in Mexico has a set of rules you may not be familiar with if you previously ran a business in the USA or Canada. This ...

    Read More
  • Read More


    New Immigration Fees for 2016

    The Mexican Immigration Institute presented their new fees for 2016; these are valid starting January 1st 2016:

    • Temporary Resident Card
      • One year $3,596 pesos
      • Two years $5,389 pesos
      • Three years $6,825 pesos
      • Four years $8,089 pesos
    • Permanent Resident Card $4,383 pesos

    In case the card is stolen or gets lost the cost to get a new one is $1,107 pesos, for any type of card, it does not vary if it is temporary or permanent.

    • Paperwork review/regularization $1,149 pesos – This amount is paid when the applicant is requesting a change of resident status or if the card is expired when the renewal process begins.
    • Exit permit $368 pesos – This amount is paid when the applicant is requesting a permit to leave the country while his application is still in process. 
    • Work permit $2,700 pesos – This amount is paid when a temporary resident or a temporary resident for study purposes wants to engage in lucrative activities.

    Share This Article

    Yucatan Government Expat Survey

    Next Story »

    New Immigration Fees for 2018


    1. Haresh Harjani
      January 27, 2016

      Can you perform these services?

    2. Yucatan Expatriate Services
      February 4, 2016

      Haresh, yes we can. We actually assist foreigners with their resident card processes in the State of Yucatan.

    3. Laurie Broome
      February 17, 2016

      I’ve had my temporary resident card for 2 years. If my card expires before I can renew it, do I have to start all over at year 1 or can I pay the renewal fee and still keep my 2 years toward a permanent card?

    4. Yucatan Expatriate Services
      February 18, 2016

      Laurie, if you let your card expire, yes, you will have to start at year 1.

    5. Reanna
      February 18, 2016

      Wow. Good information. Don’t let resident card expire.

    6. Mary Dungan
      April 11, 2016

      How much income is needed in 2016 to qualify for a temporary visa and for a permanent resident visa?

    7. Dan
      April 11, 2016

      My wife and I are not yet decided between Yucatan or QR for our near term relocation to MX. Can YES refer me to comparable services for our visa processing in QR if we decide to head further east?

    8. Dan
      April 11, 2016

      One more question…
      What kind of cost am I looking at for YES (assuming I reliable to Yucatan) to be engaged in shepherding our visa process?

      I suspect my wife will apply for perm residency right away (about 1400 Social Security + healthy retirement account), vs me likely temp residency (2300 Social Security minus 600 child support until Mar next year, but no retirement account)

      Costs? Thoughts?

    9. Yucatan Expatriate Services
      April 17, 2016

      Mary, for temporary residency the minimum income requirement is the equivalent in your currency to 21,912 pesos and for permanent residency the equivalent in your currency to 36,520 pesos.

    10. Yucatan Expatriate Services
      April 17, 2016

      Dan, we do not know of a company similar to ours in QR, but we could definitely refer you to a legal firm that could help you with your visa process.

    11. Yucatan Expatriate Services
      April 17, 2016

      Dan, please contact us info@yucatanyes.com so that we can discuss your needs and we can provide you with our services proposal.

    12. Vince
      May 4, 2016

      Hello YES,

      I intend to live in Mexico City – can you provice visa services ?

    13. Yucatan Expatriate Services
      May 11, 2016

      Vince, we can help you with online consultancy, preparig the paperwork you will need to present and guiding you through the process. We cannot represent you before the Immigration office because we are in Merida, not in Mexico City. If you need further details of this service, please contact us at info@yucatanyes.com

    14. Gilles Cartier
      June 7, 2016

      Hi, my wife and I entend to move permanently to Mexico, Yucatan area. Our individual monthly gross income converted from $CND to $MXN are my wife 33000$ pesos and for me 52000$ pesos. Since we are both looking for permanent resident visas we have 3 questions:
      1-Are the revenues sufficient individually?
      2-Is the 4383$ pesos fee for the permanent resident card unique payment or annual payment?
      3-if fee is unique why should anybody look at the temporary resident card?
      Thanks, Gilles and Carole

    15. Yucatan Expatriate Services
      June 7, 2016

      Gilles, answering your questions:

      1) To obtain permanent residency, the applicant must show net income from a pension of 36,520 pesos monthly for the last 6 months.

      2) The 4,383 pesos is a unique payment for a permanent resident card.

      3) Some people cannot get permanent residency right away if they are not pensioners or if they do not meet the mínimum financial requirements.

    16. Raquel
      July 28, 2016

      I just received a letter stating that my temporary residency has been approved. What is the next step? Do I just keep checking the status for them to say I need to come in for fingerprinting or should I go to the INM office.

    17. Yucatan Expatriate Services
      July 28, 2016

      Raquel, you should approach the INM office to request an appointment for them to take your fingerprints.

    Leave a comment

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *