During the last days of 2016, the Yucatan Government announced that in 2017 every car with Yucatan license plates must renew them.
This procedure just started this Monday, January 9th2017.
A calendar was published, which goes according to your license plate numbers; just look for your license plate numbers and you will find your month, this means that the deadline to do so is the end of that month. It does not necessarily mean you have to do it on that month, but it is definitely the deadline. It is better if you do it on your month in order to keep the number of applicants more reduced and organized.
The procedure should not take more than 1 day, however, since they are just starting, these firsts days it could take longer.
The police is also motivating drivers to change their license plates by condoning last years’ non-paid “tenencias”, which is a really good offer.
The cost for the new plates is of approximately $1,500.00 pesos.
Validity of the new license plates: 3 years.
The documents you must take with you are (original and copy):
- Your passport.
- Your temporary or permanent resident card.
- Proof of address (any of the following):
- Electricity bill (not older than 90 days).
- Water Bill (not older than 90 days).
- Phone bill (not older than 90 days).
- Bank statement.
- Letter from the Immigration office stating your address.
- In case of lease, present a notarized rental contract, annexing the proof of address marked in the contract to the landlord’s name.
- Tarjeta de circulación (circulation´s card).
- Valid insurance policy.
- License plates.
The change of plates can only be done to vehicles registered in your name and plates issued in 2009.
1) Centro de Convenciones Siglo XXI.
Calle 60 Norte, Interior del Centro de Convenciones S. XXI, Salón Chichen Itzá, Mérida, Yucatán.
2) Ex penintenciaría Juárez.
Calle 90 x 59 y 61A Col. Centro.
3) Unidad Deportiva Kukulcán
Calle 6 No. 315 x Av. Circuito Colonias, Col. Unidad Morelos, Mérida, Yucatán.
The office hours to receive documents are:
Monday thru Friday from 8:00 to 16:00hrs.
Saturday from 8:00 to 13:00 hrs.
At Yucatán Expatriate Services, we can advise you and/or assist you in this important process, which if done correctly, will keep you from going many times to the Police offices and incurring additional expenses. If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to contact us: firstname.lastname@example.org or 927 24 37.