Featured Posts

  • Mexican Financial Stereotypes

    The world over has stereotypical ideas about Mexico and particularly about Mexico's financial situation. Richard Fisher, President and CEO of the Federal Reserve in Dallas, thinks it ...

    Read More
  • Employment in Mexico

    Employment law in Mexico has its own set of rules and regulations that must be followed, whether you are a corporation, a small business or running a ...

    Read More
  • IVA Increase and Facturas

    On January 1, 2010, the amount of Mexico's Value Added Tax, called IVA, increased by one percent. Here's a quick take on how corporations should deal with ...

    Read More
  • Taxation in Mexico

    Taxes are confusing enough in your own country, let alone in a foreign country. Add to that the language difference, and you've got a recipe for confusion. ...

    Read More
  • Hiring and Firing Employees

    Employment law in Mexico has a set of rules you may not be familiar with if you previously ran a business in the USA or Canada. This ...

    Read More
  • Read More


    New Immigration Fees for 2018

    The Mexican Immigration Institute presented their new fees for 2018; these are valid starting January 1st 2018:

    • Temporary Resident Card
      • One year $3,961 pesos
      • Two years $5,936 pesos
      • Three years $7,518 pesos
      • Four years $8,910 pesos
    • Permanent Resident Card $4,828 pesos

    In case the card is stolen or gets lost the cost to get a new one is $1,144 pesos, for any type of card, it does not vary if it is temporary or permanent.

    • Paperwork review/regularization $1,266 pesos – This amount is paid when the applicant is requesting a change of resident status or if the card is expired when the renewal process begins.
    • Exit permit $405 pesos – This amount is paid when the applicant is requesting a permit to leave the country while his application is still in process. 
    • Work permit $2,974 pesos – This amount is paid when a temporary resident or a temporary resident for study purposes wants to engage in lucrative activities.

    Share This Article

    New Immigration Fees for 2016

    Next Story »

    New Yucatecan Plates in 2017


    1. CC
      January 19, 2017

      Where do we go online to fill out paperwork for the last step in mexico for the temporary residency? If we pay for 4 years we do not need to renew each year and at the end of 4years you are a permanent resident?
      Thank you again for your advice!

    2. Yucatan Expatriate Services
      January 27, 2017

      CC, here:

      You cannot apply for 4 years; only for 1 and then for 3. After 4 complete years, you pay to become a Permanent Resident.

    3. Lannie Loeks
      April 4, 2017

      What are the financial requirements for a spouse?
      Do adult children apply separately when moving with parents?

    4. Yucatan Expatriate Services
      April 5, 2017

      Lannie, if the spouse applies in Mexico, there are no financial requirements. Children can apply as economic dependents as long as they are younger than 18 years old.

    5. Michael
      April 7, 2017

      We are planning a move to Merida.
      With investments of $1Million and Social Security of $3790 per month, do my wife and I qualify for Permanent Residency?
      Also, with Permanent I don’t think I can import a car permanently?

    6. Yucatan Expatriate Services
      April 10, 2017

      Michael, if both of you are retired, and if the 1 million investments are in both of your names over the past 12 months, yes you qualify for permanent residency. You can’t import a foreign plated car if you are permanent residents.

    7. Walt Fisier
      May 4, 2017

      Does a work permiso have to be renewed annually? My wife and I surrendered our Residente Temporal to IMM for processing of the work permit. We have 2 years remaining on the Temporal. Will the work permit be issued to the remaining 2 years that we have on our residency cards? No one at IMM is able to answer that question. Their reply is that you will find out when you get the new cards.

    8. Yucatan Expatriate Services
      May 4, 2017

      Walt, if you have 2 years of temporary residency left, you will receive the work permits for that amount of time, unless the job offer you have is for one year only.

    9. Bob
      June 27, 2017

      Hi, Thanks for the great article! My wife and I nearing the end of our 1st year on a Temporal. I retired last August. Is it possible to go to Permanente after 1 year on Temporal, or do we have to do the 3-year Temporal renewal before applying for Permanente?

      Thanks in advance

    10. Yucatan Expatriate Services
      June 28, 2017

      Bob, you’re welcome! We’re glad you found it useful. Answering your question: yes, you can go for Permanent even if you have not reached 4 years of temporary, but you will need to prove that you are retired and you will need to show financial information pertaining permanent residency.

    11. July 22, 2017

      Thanks all the great information – most helpful! When requesting an appointment at an INM office for the canje process, do I have to do that in person or can it requested online like the Mexican Consulates do in the US?

    12. Yucatan Expatriate Services
      July 24, 2017

      Greg, you’re welcome! We´re happy you’ve found useful information on our site. To start the canje process you don’t need to request an appointment, you just show up at the INM office with your documents. When it is time to have your appointment for fingerprints, you will need to go in person to the INM office to request it, there’s no online option.

    13. Deborah White
      July 25, 2017

      Hi, I’ve got a couple of questions. I’m planning a move to Progreso in a couple of months and I’m applying for a permanent residency VISA. (FM3?)

      1. I’ve 3 cats and a dog that I’m planning on bringing in the country by RV. I understand the health certificate, parasite requirements, and vaccination requirements. How much will it cost me to bring more than 2 pets?

      2. I’m taking an early retirement and I can satisfy the income requirements with over $100K in investments but I’m interested in doing some part-time online work to keep myself busy and fulfilled. What do I need to do to be allowed to do telecommuting work? And is there an additional cost for that if allowed to do so?

    14. Deborah White
      July 26, 2017

      Oh, one more thing…how do I bring my fully paid for RV to Mexico and get it licensed there?

    15. Yucatan Expatriate Services
      July 26, 2017

      Deborah, FM3 is now known as temporary residency; the former inmigrado is now known as permanent residency. Answering your questions:

      1. Please provide the border through which you will cross so that we can verify the amount.
      2. If you get permanent residency, you’ll be authorized to work in Mexico. Also, if you’ll be working online and not getting income in Mexico, you would not need a work permit.

    16. Yucatan Expatriate Services
      July 26, 2017

      Deborah, you’d need to check the requirements with a customs bróker who you would also need to hire to do the permanent import. You can choose one from the list in this link, which is from the Latin American Association of Custom Brokers:

    17. SPS
      July 28, 2017

      Firstly I’d like to thank you for suggesting the consulate in San Antonio as an option when applying for a visa. We found them most helpful and the whole process went very smoothly.
      Can you give me some advice about banks? I just read that I can have a bank account as a TR. Any suggestions for a good one? Thanks again for all your help.

    18. Yucatan Expatriate Services
      July 31, 2017

      SPS, you’re welcome! We are glad you had a good experience with the Consulate in San Antonio. About banking, we have worked very well with Bancomer, Banamex and HSBC.

    19. RDB
      September 26, 2017

      A quick question on the renewal of a Temporary Resident Card. When filling out the online form, my Google Translate is having a bit of difficulty helping me select the proper option.

      Under “extend my stay’ there are two options listed:
      Expedicion de tarjeta de residente por renovacion
      Expedicion de tarjeta de visitante por ampliacion

      Which would be the proper option for a renewing a temp resident visa that hasn’t expired? Thanks for the help.

    20. Yucatan Expatriate Services
      September 26, 2017

      RDB, it would be the first one: “tarjeta de residente por renovación”. The 2nd choice is for the visitors, not for the residents.

    21. Tonda Trent
      October 23, 2017

      To obtain a permanent or temporal resident card, do we have to show proof of residence in Mexico at the INM office, such as electric bill or telephone bill?
      We have completed the first part of the application in the US. Now I have been told we need the proof of residency, which we do not have yet.

    22. Yucatan Expatriate Services
      October 24, 2017

      Tonda, you will need to supply an address in Mexico to fill out the forms to present at the Immigration office, but you won’t need to show a utility bill. If you need assistance with your canjes, send us an e-mail to, we’ll be happy to help you!

    23. Denise
      November 8, 2017

      Do you have to renew a permenant resident card yearly or at the end of four years?
      Do you have to give up U. S. citizenship at the end of four years or can you wait?


    24. Yucatan Expatriate Services
      November 8, 2017

      Denise, permanent resident cards do not get renewed, unless you are under 18 years old. You don’t have to give up U.S. citizenship, permanent residents are not Mexican citizens.

    Leave a comment

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *