Featured Posts

  • Mexican Financial Stereotypes

    The world over has stereotypical ideas about Mexico and particularly about Mexico's financial situation. Richard Fisher, President and CEO of the Federal Reserve in Dallas, thinks it ...

    Read More
  • Employment in Mexico

    Employment law in Mexico has its own set of rules and regulations that must be followed, whether you are a corporation, a small business or running a ...

    Read More
  • IVA Increase and Facturas

    On January 1, 2010, the amount of Mexico's Value Added Tax, called IVA, increased by one percent. Here's a quick take on how corporations should deal with ...

    Read More
  • Taxation in Mexico

    Taxes are confusing enough in your own country, let alone in a foreign country. Add to that the language difference, and you've got a recipe for confusion. ...

    Read More
  • Hiring and Firing Employees

    Employment law in Mexico has a set of rules you may not be familiar with if you previously ran a business in the USA or Canada. This ...

    Read More
  • Read More


    New Immigration Fees for 2019

    The Mexican Immigration Institute presented their new fees for 2019; these are valid starting January 1st 2019:

    • Temporary Resident Card
      • One year $4,148 pesos
      • Two years $6,215 pesos
      • Three years $7,872 pesos
      • Four years $9,330 pesos
    • Permanent Resident Card $5,056 pesos

    In case the card is stolen or gets lost the cost to get a new one is $1,277 pesos, for any type of card, it does not vary if it is temporary or permanent.

    • Paperwork review/regularization $1,325 pesos – This amount is paid when the applicant is requesting a change of resident status or if the card is expired when the renewal process begins.
    • Exit permit $424 pesos – This amount is paid when the applicant is requesting a permit to leave the country while his application is still in process. 
    • Work permit $3,114 pesos – This amount is paid when a temporary resident or a temporary resident for study purposes wants to engage in lucrative activities.

    Share This Article

    How I Obtained a Permanent Resident Card

    Next Story »

    How To Apply For a Mexican Resident Card For The First Time


    1. CC
      January 19, 2017

      Where do we go online to fill out paperwork for the last step in mexico for the temporary residency? If we pay for 4 years we do not need to renew each year and at the end of 4years you are a permanent resident?
      Thank you again for your advice!

    2. Yucatan Expatriate Services
      January 27, 2017

      CC, here: https://www.inm.gob.mx/tramites/publico/estancia.html

      You cannot apply for 4 years; only for 1 and then for 3. After 4 complete years, you pay to become a Permanent Resident.

    3. Lannie Loeks
      April 4, 2017

      What are the financial requirements for a spouse?
      Do adult children apply separately when moving with parents?

    4. Yucatan Expatriate Services
      April 5, 2017

      Lannie, if the spouse applies in Mexico, there are no financial requirements. Children can apply as economic dependents as long as they are younger than 18 years old.

    5. Michael
      April 7, 2017

      We are planning a move to Merida.
      With investments of $1Million and Social Security of $3790 per month, do my wife and I qualify for Permanent Residency?
      Also, with Permanent I don’t think I can import a car permanently?

    6. Yucatan Expatriate Services
      April 10, 2017

      Michael, if both of you are retired, and if the 1 million investments are in both of your names over the past 12 months, yes you qualify for permanent residency. You can’t import a foreign plated car if you are permanent residents.

    7. Walt Fisier
      May 4, 2017

      Does a work permiso have to be renewed annually? My wife and I surrendered our Residente Temporal to IMM for processing of the work permit. We have 2 years remaining on the Temporal. Will the work permit be issued to the remaining 2 years that we have on our residency cards? No one at IMM is able to answer that question. Their reply is that you will find out when you get the new cards.

    8. Yucatan Expatriate Services
      May 4, 2017

      Walt, if you have 2 years of temporary residency left, you will receive the work permits for that amount of time, unless the job offer you have is for one year only.

    9. Bob
      June 27, 2017

      Hi, Thanks for the great article! My wife and I nearing the end of our 1st year on a Temporal. I retired last August. Is it possible to go to Permanente after 1 year on Temporal, or do we have to do the 3-year Temporal renewal before applying for Permanente?

      Thanks in advance

    10. Yucatan Expatriate Services
      June 28, 2017

      Bob, you’re welcome! We’re glad you found it useful. Answering your question: yes, you can go for Permanent even if you have not reached 4 years of temporary, but you will need to prove that you are retired and you will need to show financial information pertaining permanent residency.

    11. July 22, 2017

      Thanks all the great information – most helpful! When requesting an appointment at an INM office for the canje process, do I have to do that in person or can it requested online like the Mexican Consulates do in the US?

    12. Yucatan Expatriate Services
      July 24, 2017

      Greg, you’re welcome! We´re happy you’ve found useful information on our site. To start the canje process you don’t need to request an appointment, you just show up at the INM office with your documents. When it is time to have your appointment for fingerprints, you will need to go in person to the INM office to request it, there’s no online option.

    13. Deborah White
      July 25, 2017

      Hi, I’ve got a couple of questions. I’m planning a move to Progreso in a couple of months and I’m applying for a permanent residency VISA. (FM3?)

      1. I’ve 3 cats and a dog that I’m planning on bringing in the country by RV. I understand the health certificate, parasite requirements, and vaccination requirements. How much will it cost me to bring more than 2 pets?

      2. I’m taking an early retirement and I can satisfy the income requirements with over $100K in investments but I’m interested in doing some part-time online work to keep myself busy and fulfilled. What do I need to do to be allowed to do telecommuting work? And is there an additional cost for that if allowed to do so?

    14. Deborah White
      July 26, 2017

      Oh, one more thing…how do I bring my fully paid for RV to Mexico and get it licensed there?

    15. Yucatan Expatriate Services
      July 26, 2017

      Deborah, FM3 is now known as temporary residency; the former inmigrado is now known as permanent residency. Answering your questions:

      1. Please provide the border through which you will cross so that we can verify the amount.
      2. If you get permanent residency, you’ll be authorized to work in Mexico. Also, if you’ll be working online and not getting income in Mexico, you would not need a work permit.

    16. Yucatan Expatriate Services
      July 26, 2017

      Deborah, you’d need to check the requirements with a customs bróker who you would also need to hire to do the permanent import. You can choose one from the list in this link, which is from the Latin American Association of Custom Brokers: http://www.claa.org.mx/nuestros-socios.html

    17. SPS
      July 28, 2017

      Firstly I’d like to thank you for suggesting the consulate in San Antonio as an option when applying for a visa. We found them most helpful and the whole process went very smoothly.
      Can you give me some advice about banks? I just read that I can have a bank account as a TR. Any suggestions for a good one? Thanks again for all your help.

    18. Yucatan Expatriate Services
      July 31, 2017

      SPS, you’re welcome! We are glad you had a good experience with the Consulate in San Antonio. About banking, we have worked very well with Bancomer, Banamex and HSBC.

    19. RDB
      September 26, 2017

      A quick question on the renewal of a Temporary Resident Card. When filling out the GOB.mx online form, my Google Translate is having a bit of difficulty helping me select the proper option.

      Under “extend my stay’ there are two options listed:
      Expedicion de tarjeta de residente por renovacion
      Expedicion de tarjeta de visitante por ampliacion

      Which would be the proper option for a renewing a temp resident visa that hasn’t expired? Thanks for the help.

    20. Yucatan Expatriate Services
      September 26, 2017

      RDB, it would be the first one: “tarjeta de residente por renovación”. The 2nd choice is for the visitors, not for the residents.

    21. Tonda Trent
      October 23, 2017

      To obtain a permanent or temporal resident card, do we have to show proof of residence in Mexico at the INM office, such as electric bill or telephone bill?
      We have completed the first part of the application in the US. Now I have been told we need the proof of residency, which we do not have yet.

    22. Yucatan Expatriate Services
      October 24, 2017

      Tonda, you will need to supply an address in Mexico to fill out the forms to present at the Immigration office, but you won’t need to show a utility bill. If you need assistance with your canjes, send us an e-mail to info@yucatanyes.com, we’ll be happy to help you!

    23. Denise
      November 8, 2017

      Do you have to renew a permenant resident card yearly or at the end of four years?
      Do you have to give up U. S. citizenship at the end of four years or can you wait?


    24. Yucatan Expatriate Services
      November 8, 2017

      Denise, permanent resident cards do not get renewed, unless you are under 18 years old. You don’t have to give up U.S. citizenship, permanent residents are not Mexican citizens.

    25. Creagh Day
      February 24, 2018

      Do you know what are the paperwork requirements for 2018 to become a Mexican citizen after completing 4 years of residencia permanente? My birth name does not match my passport, residencia permanente or social security cards. They all have my married name (40 years). Do I have to change these cards back my original birth name? Are the rules the same for all states in MX? I am from the USA and live in BCS. I m 67 years old. I can read & write Spanish but cannot sing the National Anthem. Help please. Thanks Creagh

    26. Yucatan Expatriate Services
      February 26, 2018

      Creagh, you need 5 full years with either temporary or permanent residency. Your names must match, from your birth certificate, your Passport and resident card. This is a must.

    27. Gilbert
      March 10, 2018

      in May 2018, I will be submitting my application in Progreso for Temporal. Do you know the typical wait time from submitting application to fingerprinting? And then wait time from fingerprinting to finish? Much Thanks

    28. Yucatan Expatriate Services
      March 13, 2018

      Gilbert, if it is a “canje” procedure, an estimate is 2-3 weeks from submitting application to fingerprints and then 1-2 weeks from fingerprints to getting the card.

    29. tony murphy
      March 21, 2018

      What information will I need to bring to the INM when renewing my residente temporal after one year?
      On my online application that I bring with me do I insert ” Canje DE FMM POR TARJETA DE VISITANTE O DE RESIDENTE” ?
      Thanks in advance!

    30. Yucatan Expatriate Services
      March 22, 2018

      Tony, you will need to present the online form (extensión de residencia temporal), letter in Spanish requesting the renewal, original and copy of your passport, original temporary resident card, basic form (formato básico) and the payment of fees for the renewal.

    31. Elizabeth
      March 24, 2018

      After getting an application approved in Houston for a permanent resident, then going to the Mexican INM office in Cancun and submitting the documents, can one leave the country while waiting for an appointment to be fingerprinted?

    32. Yucatan Expatriate Services
      April 3, 2018

      Elizabeth, yes you can leave the country but only with an exit permit that you need to request to the INM office.

    33. Penny k owles
      April 8, 2018

      We are thinking of applying for permanent residence. Our daughter is a student, still living and travelling with us. She is 24. We are retired. Does she have to apply separately or can we apply as a family. We own property in mexico and what is the amount that qualifies for property?

    34. Yucatan Expatriate Services
      April 9, 2018

      Penny, she will have to apply on her own as she is not under age.

      Owning Real Estate in Mexico works if you were applying for temporary residency, not for permanent. If you wish to apply for temporary through the Real Estate option, it must be worth at least 190,000 USD.

    35. Cari Leclair
      April 19, 2018

      Can you tell me how much it costs to apply for permanent residency directly without ever doing the temporal? There are costs posted above but I was under the impression it was close to $1000 cad or more?

    36. Yucatan Expatriate Services
      April 20, 2018

      Cari, it costs 1,266 pesos for the change of status from tourist to permanent resident and 4,828 pesos for the cost of the card. In total it is 6,094 pesos.

    37. Laurel Wentz
      August 12, 2018

      Is it possible to start with residencia temporal, and then apply for residencia permanente after the first year? Or are you locked into four years of residencia temporal before being eligible for residencia permanente? (As a retiree, I could apply for either, but was going to start with temporal because it seems to make a few things, like sending a household shipment, somewhat easier). Thank you!

    38. Yucatan Expatriate Services
      August 13, 2018

      Laurel, yes it is posible, but you will need to prove you are retired and you will need to show financial information pertaning permanent residency; the bank account statements will have to be translated to Spanish by a certified translator.

      September 29, 2018

      Maria September 29, 2018

      My husband and I seniors are both retied with citizenship of Canada. Where can we apply for
      Permanent Resident Card for the first time. We do have enough qualified for 12 months bank account statement and any other documents required? What do we have to do first, and can we apply in Canada for the Permanent Resident Card? Thank you in an advance.

    40. Yucatan Expatriate Services
      October 1, 2018

      Maria, you have to apply at a Mexican Consulate abroad, so yes, you can apply in Canada. When you contact the Mexican Consulate for an appointment, you can also ask them about their specific requirements. After you get the visa, you will have 180 days to come to Mexico to do the 2nd part of the process, through which you will receive your resident card.

    41. Jackie
      December 14, 2018


      When I renew my temporary residency after the year will I have to show again proof of earnings? I have heard that some have done this but it’s not stated in the requirements.

    42. Yucatan Expatriate Services
      December 14, 2018

      Jackie, as you say, it is not stated in the requirements in the Immigration Law but recently we heard of a case at the Immigration office in San Luis Potosí, where they requested financial information for the renewal process.

    Leave a comment

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *