Featured Posts

  • Mexican Financial Stereotypes

    The world over has stereotypical ideas about Mexico and particularly about Mexico's financial situation. Richard Fisher, President and CEO of the Federal Reserve in Dallas, thinks it ...

    Read More
  • Employment in Mexico

    Employment law in Mexico has its own set of rules and regulations that must be followed, whether you are a corporation, a small business or running a ...

    Read More
  • IVA Increase and Facturas

    On January 1, 2010, the amount of Mexico's Value Added Tax, called IVA, increased by one percent. Here's a quick take on how corporations should deal with ...

    Read More
  • Taxation in Mexico

    Taxes are confusing enough in your own country, let alone in a foreign country. Add to that the language difference, and you've got a recipe for confusion. ...

    Read More
  • Hiring and Firing Employees

    Employment law in Mexico has a set of rules you may not be familiar with if you previously ran a business in the USA or Canada. This ...

    Read More
  • Read More


    New Immigration Fees for 2017

    The Mexican Immigration Institute presented their new fees for 2016; these are valid starting January 1st 2017:

    • Temporary Resident Card
      • One year $3,715 pesos
      • Two years $5,567 pesos
      • Three years $7,050 pesos
      • Four years $8,356 pesos
    • Permanent Resident Card $4,528 pesos

    In case the card is stolen or gets lost the cost to get a new one is $1,144 pesos, for any type of card, it does not vary if it is temporary or permanent.

    • Paperwork review/regularization $1,187 pesos – This amount is paid when the applicant is requesting a change of resident status or if the card is expired when the renewal process begins.
    • Exit permit $380 pesos – This amount is paid when the applicant is requesting a permit to leave the country while his application is still in process. 
    • Work permit $2,789 pesos – This amount is paid when a temporary resident or a temporary resident for study purposes wants to engage in lucrative activities.

    Share This Article

    New Immigration Fees for 2016

    Next Story »

    New Yucatecan Plates in 2017


    1. CC
      January 19, 2017

      Where do we go online to fill out paperwork for the last step in mexico for the temporary residency? If we pay for 4 years we do not need to renew each year and at the end of 4years you are a permanent resident?
      Thank you again for your advice!

    2. Yucatan Expatriate Services
      January 27, 2017

      CC, here:

      You cannot apply for 4 years; only for 1 and then for 3. After 4 complete years, you pay to become a Permanent Resident.

    3. Lannie Loeks
      April 4, 2017

      What are the financial requirements for a spouse?
      Do adult children apply separately when moving with parents?

    4. Yucatan Expatriate Services
      April 5, 2017

      Lannie, if the spouse applies in Mexico, there are no financial requirements. Children can apply as economic dependents as long as they are younger than 18 years old.

    5. Michael
      April 7, 2017

      We are planning a move to Merida.
      With investments of $1Million and Social Security of $3790 per month, do my wife and I qualify for Permanent Residency?
      Also, with Permanent I don’t think I can import a car permanently?

    6. Yucatan Expatriate Services
      April 10, 2017

      Michael, if both of you are retired, and if the 1 million investments are in both of your names over the past 12 months, yes you qualify for permanent residency. You can’t import a foreign plated car if you are permanent residents.

    Leave a comment

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *