Did you know September 30th 2012 is the last day to renew the Circulation Card of your vehicle with Yucatán License Plates without paying penalties?
Think of the tarjeta de circulatión as the car registration and the tenencia as, well, an additional registration. Both of them need to be done to have your car completely legal to drive on the streets and highways of the Yucatan.
The Circulation Card (known in Spanish as tarjeta de circulación) is the permit you get from the authorities to drive your car freely on the public highway. Every two years this card has to be renewed along with the license plates of the vehicle. However, for 2012, the Government of Yucatan is only requesting drivers to renew their Circulation Card with a procedure called refrendo vehicular, while license plates will not have to be renewed until the first day of the year 2015.
If you haven´t obtained the refrendo vehicular yet, you will need to gather some documents and take them to one of the offices that are listed at the end of this article during the month of September. From October 1st on, there will be penalties to pay for those that wish to do the procedure, but it can still be done.
This is the list of documents you will need to show (original and copy):
- FM3 or FM2
- Your passport
- Proof of your address in Yucatán:
- Telephone, electricity or water bill: not older than 3 months and it should state the name of the owner of the vehicle (it cannot be a bill downloaded from the Internet)
- Property tax bill in the name of the owner of the vehicle
- Bank statement in the name of the owner of the vehicle
- If you are renting, copy of the rental agreement signed before a Notary Publilc, attaching the utility bill with the address and name of the person renting you the house as it appears in the contract
- Valid insurance policy that at least covers liabilities against third parties
- The last Circulation´s Card of the vehicle
- The last receipt of the payment of tenencia
Once you have these documents, you can go to any of the customer service offices below to get your card.
Office hours for these offices are Monday-Friday, 8 AM to 4 PM and Saturdays 8 AM to 1 PM
- Expenitenciaria Benito Juarez: Street 90 x 59 and 61-A, Col. Centro , Mérida
- Centro de Convenciones Siglo XXI: Street 60 North, inside the convention center, Mérida
- Unidad Deportiva Kukulcán: Street 6 # 315 x Av. Circuito Colonias, Unidad Morelos, Mérida
Office hours for these offices are Monday-Friday 8 AM to 2 PM and Saturdays 8 AM to 1 PM
- Módulo Central: Street 61 # 494 x 88-A and 90, Col Centro, Mérida
In other Yucatan cities, the office hours are Monday-Friday 8 to 4 PM and Saturdays 8 to 1 PM
- City of Progreso (Calle 37 S/N x 74)
- City of Valladolid (Calle 42 No. 306 x 41 and 43 Col. Centro)
- City of Tizimín (Calle 45 No. 492, x 62 y 64)
- City of Ticul (Calle 21 S/N x 24-A and 26 Col. Centro, Casa de la Cultura)
- City of Izamal (Calle 31 No. 374 x 44 and 46 Col. Centro, beside the Civil Registry)
The cost of the refrendo vehicular until September 30th 2012 is 204 pesos if you are up to date with the payment of past year´s tenencias . If you are have not paid your tenencia, you will have to pay that first, as well as some fines, and you will have to present proof of payment before you can get the refrendo vehicular.
If you need assistance to get the refrendo vehicular here at YES we can help you for a fee of 500 pesos.
For more information or to set up an appointment, contact us at email@example.com or to the phone number 927-2437.