Featured Posts

  • Mexican Financial Stereotypes

    The world over has stereotypical ideas about Mexico and particularly about Mexico's financial situation. Richard Fisher, President and CEO of the Federal Reserve in Dallas, thinks it ...

    Read More
  • Employment in Mexico

    Employment law in Mexico has its own set of rules and regulations that must be followed, whether you are a corporation, a small business or running a ...

    Read More
  • IVA Increase and Facturas

    On January 1, 2010, the amount of Mexico's Value Added Tax, called IVA, increased by one percent. Here's a quick take on how corporations should deal with ...

    Read More
  • Taxation in Mexico

    Taxes are confusing enough in your own country, let alone in a foreign country. Add to that the language difference, and you've got a recipe for confusion. ...

    Read More
  • Hiring and Firing Employees

    Employment law in Mexico has a set of rules you may not be familiar with if you previously ran a business in the USA or Canada. This ...

    Read More
  • Read More

    • Page Views 11214

    Yucatan Auto Circulation Card

    Circulation card for driving your car in MexicoDid you know September 30th 2012 is the last day to renew the Circulation Card of your vehicle with Yucatán License Plates without paying penalties?

    Think of the tarjeta de circulatión as the car registration and the tenencia as, well, an additional registration. Both of them need to be done to have your car completely legal to drive on the streets and highways of the Yucatan.

    The Circulation Card (known in Spanish as tarjeta de circulación) is the permit you get from the authorities to drive your car freely on the public highway. Every two years this card has to be renewed along with the license plates of the vehicle. However, for 2012, the Government of Yucatan is only requesting drivers to renew their Circulation Card with a procedure called refrendo vehicular, while license plates will not have to be renewed until the first day of the year 2015.
    If you haven´t obtained the refrendo vehicular yet, you will need to gather some documents and take them to one of the offices that are listed at the end of this article during the month of September. From October 1st on, there will be penalties to pay for those that wish to do the procedure, but it can still be done.

    This is the list of documents you will need to show (original and copy):

    • FM3 or FM2
    • Your passport
    • Proof of your address in Yucatán:
      • Telephone, electricity or water bill: not older than 3 months and it should state the name of the owner of the vehicle (it cannot be a bill downloaded from the Internet)
      • Property tax bill in the name of the owner of the vehicle
      • Bank statement in the name of the owner of the vehicle
      • If you are renting, copy of the rental agreement signed before a Notary Publilc, attaching the utility bill with the address and name of the person renting you the house as it appears in the contract
    • Valid insurance policy that at least covers liabilities against third parties
    • The last Circulation´s Card of the vehicle
    • The last receipt of the payment of tenencia

    Once you have these documents, you can go to any of the customer service offices below to get your card.

    Office hours for these offices are Monday-Friday, 8 AM to 4 PM and Saturdays 8 AM to 1 PM

    • Expenitenciaria Benito Juarez: Street 90 x 59 and 61-A, Col. Centro , Mérida
    • Centro de Convenciones Siglo XXI: Street 60 North, inside the convention center, Mérida
    • Unidad Deportiva Kukulcán: Street 6 # 315 x Av. Circuito Colonias, Unidad Morelos, Mérida

    Office hours for these offices are Monday-Friday 8 AM to 2 PM and Saturdays 8 AM to 1 PM

    • Módulo Central: Street 61 # 494 x 88-A and 90, Col Centro, Mérida

    In other Yucatan cities, the office hours are Monday-Friday 8 to 4 PM and Saturdays 8 to 1 PM

    • City of Progreso (Calle 37 S/N x 74)
    • City of Valladolid (Calle 42 No. 306 x 41 and 43 Col. Centro)
    • City of Tizimín (Calle 45 No. 492, x 62 y 64)
    • City of Ticul (Calle 21 S/N x 24-A and 26 Col. Centro, Casa de la Cultura)
    • City of Izamal (Calle 31 No. 374 x 44 and 46 Col. Centro, beside the Civil Registry)

    The cost of the refrendo vehicular until September 30th 2012 is 204 pesos if you are up to date with the payment of past year´s tenencias . If you are have not paid your tenencia, you will have to pay that first, as well as some fines, and you will have to present proof of payment before you can get the refrendo vehicular.

    If you need assistance to get the refrendo vehicular here at YES we can help you for a fee of 500 pesos.

    For more information or to set up an appointment, contact us at info@yucatanyes.com or to the phone number 927-2437.

    Share This Article

    Garbage Collection in Merida

    Next Story »

    New Immigration Laws 2012


    1. richard lowe
      January 10, 2013

      Is the strictly for the Yucatan State? I live on Isla Mujeres and have never heard of it.

    2. January 11, 2013

      Richard, yes, this is only for the State of Yucatan.

    3. chad
      January 15, 2013

      How long does one have after purchasing a car to obtain this card?

    4. Yucatan Expatriate Services
      January 15, 2013

      When you purchase the car, one of the documents you will receive is this card, which will be under the previous owner´s name; so you should change the card as soon as possible so it is under the current owner´s name, that is you.

    5. Diane
      January 18, 2013

      Is this card the same as registration of the car…we just registered our Yucatan purchased car and only received the placa….we did not get the card that you show in the picture with this article. Please explain further. Thank you.

    6. Dale Aubichon
      January 18, 2013

      Is this for all Mexican plated cars? or just cars that still have to make the annual payments i.e. less tan 10 years
      Is this necessary for foreign plated cars that are in the country and assigned to an FM3?

    7. January 21, 2013

      Diane, this card is called “Tarjeta de Circulación”; you should have been given one if you have a new placa. It is a piece of light cardboard containing your name and information of the vehicle: brand, serial number, plate number, etc. expiring on December 31st 2014.

    8. January 21, 2013

      Dale, this article just refers to Yucatan license plated vehicles and does not apply for foreign plated cars.

    9. John Derek Richardson
      February 6, 2014

      If I buy a new car, does the auto dealer provide this card along with all the other documents? Or for the 2014 purchase of a new car has the card superseded?

    10. Yucatan Expatriate Services
      February 15, 2014

      John, yes if you buy it brand new from a dealership and you request the service.

    11. Andrew
      December 27, 2014

      Is it true that all tarjetas are going to expire this Dec. 31? But, we CANNOT renew until January? If so, how long do we have for YES to renew this for us? Does it have to be done at the very beginning of January? Thanks!

    12. Yucatan Expatriate Services
      January 2, 2015

      Andrew, yes all tarjetas expired on Dec. 31st. We all have 3 months to get the new ones. Contact us if you want us to help you! info@yucatanyes.com

    Leave a comment

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *